ScaffoldBuilders

Stay Up, Stay Safe, Stay Connected

Who came up with the name "pans" for steel plank> What are we, cooks?

Views: 1532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How about a 4" Coupler being called a "turtle clamp" or a right angle being called a "Solid clamps" or one of my personal favorite is calling a systems leg a "tree"

They also call them "bat wings". 

Jason Bright said:

About 11 years ago I remember I had a day labor refer to a side bracket as a "bicycle frame".

Also the boiler makers are always asking if we can put some more "Angel Wings" in the lanes.

And I hate the word "bucks"... Well it's about 4 bucks high.

We have the "chicken legs" also and that's what they are calling them.

Now what's really offensive are some of the nicknames the guys have for each other... Can't say any of them here. ;-)

We call "chicken legs" , "re-starts" in Michigan.By the way, they were invented here,by our Branch Manager along with input from myself and some of the other Scaffolders from Local#687.
AL1 could be Safway's part number for an Adjustable Leg.  AL1 being the one with a socket for various kinds of base plates and u-heads and the AL1S for a leg with an attached base plate. Buck probably comes from the old days when Saw horses made up most scaffold and from that probably came "bucks", or "buck it up" again.  Putlogs is an old WV term where you put a log across the crik to go see your gal.  Even some old truck drivers call bridges putlogs.

John Cavelli said:
beats me pal who came up with Al1s

"putlog" came from Europe.{i think} When they built turrets in castles they would leave stones out of the wall.Insert a "putlog" every so often and install planking upon them,as they went up.It kind of looked like a giant screw.

That is a good possibility considering much of WV was settled by the Scots and Irish.  Thomas Jefferson left out bricks to form pockets under the portico at Monticello and he could have used "putlogs".  I have seen the same technique used by masons during the building of smokestacks where they did their work from inside and laid the bricks "overhand".  I worked with an old family of scaffold builders from WV (Charleston) in 1967, and they told me that they came up with that term when they asked Safway to build them something like a "putlog".  Considering Safway invented welded frame panel scaffold in 1936, and considering that that whole line of scaffold was new and evolving, it is quite possible that they relied upon their heritage to arrive at that word.  Thanks for the reply and info.  Your drawing looks a little like needle-beam scaffold.

I think the term "putlog" actually comes from olden times when they would say "put a log" over something. It was then reduced to "Putlog"

Websters defines a putlog as follows:

Definition of PUTLOG

: one of the short timbers that support the flooring of a scaffold

Origin of PUTLOG

probably alteration of earlier putlock, perhaps from 3put +2lock
First Known Use: 1645

Betcha didn't know that. 

I was in a hurry.I could of found a better example.I have been doing quite a bit of research over the past few years.I have been compiling information and considering writing a book about the history of scaffold and its uses.

How did primative man paint the ceilings of their caves?

No, I didn't, but the information is interesting. Even at this ripe old age, I learn something new everyday.

Thanks.

Justin T. Wittwer said:

I think the term "putlog" actually comes from olden times when they would say "put a log" over something. It was then reduced to "Putlog"

Websters defines a putlog as follows:

Definition of PUTLOG

: one of the short timbers that support the flooring of a scaffold

Origin of PUTLOG

probably alteration of earlier putlock, perhaps from 3put +2lock
First Known Use: 1645

Betcha didn't know that. 

I once had a carpenter call a swivel clamp a TWIRLER and a bunch of utah scaffold guys call right angles Knuckles. The knuckles aint to bad but what is a twirler

The knuckle thing is actually quite common in the midwest. 

I have heard swivels called Pivot clamps,

Joist called Joyce.

right angles called 90's

stack racks called pigs

ledgers calleds, horz, bars, runners, pipes, bearers etc.....

We used to call veritcal diagonal, VD's

Horizontal Diagonals called goosers, 

my new favorite has to be the "slick tubes" for regular tubes.

I hate when people call tubes pipes or slick pipes and  when they call 10' legs trees

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Justin T. Wittwer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service